Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Design and implement experiments to characterize interactions between healthy and diseased plants and microbial communities (fungal and bacterial), including (but not limited to):
- Isolation, culture and maintenance of microbes
- Inoculation of host plants and test pathogenicity of plant pathogens
- Performance of PCR/qPCR
- Preparation of microbial DNA, RNA and proteins
- Performance of confocal/epifluorescent microscopy, including live cell imaging, immuno-histochemistry, and fluorescent staining of microbes
- Data analysis
- Engage customers and stakeholders to identify current problems and opportunities for products.
- Contribute to the company’s intellectual property portfolio.
- Work collaboratively with other R&D team members to accomplish other department specific project goals and milestones.
- Author key documents such as: technical protocols, development reports and SOPs.
- Maintain familiarity with current literature.
- Meaningfully convey technical information across departments.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication, collaborative and organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Keen ability to identify issues and take appropriate actions.
- Strong sense of urgency with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and diverse projects.
- Computer literacy with skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point.
- Must be a committed team player and collaborator.
- Ph.D. in Plant-Microbe Biology, Microbial Ecology, Microbiology, Plant Pathology, or closely related field.
- Industrial experience (4+ years) in a bio-agricultural company is mandatory.
- Significant experience in working with micro-organisms in the lab and in planta or in soil.
- Knowledge and skills in plant immunity, microbial pathogenesis, beneficial microbes, plant-microbe interaction, and phytobiome related study.
- Bioinformatics and microbial community statistical analysis experience is highly desirable.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to occasionally travel domestically or internationally.