To apply, submit curriculum vitae, cover letter outlining specific interest in and relevant experience for this position, and names of three references through the USM career site.
The Hamdan Lab in the School of Ocean Science and Engineering at the University of Southern Mississippi seeks a research technician to support microbiome studies of benthic ecosystems in the Gulf of Mexico. Work will focus on the study of aquatic microbial communities and their interaction with natural and anthropogenic features. Individuals with experience with microbiology, biogeochemistry, and molecular ecology are encouraged to apply.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage in projects studying seafloor microorganisms to characterize communities in water, sediment and biofilms.
- Develop expertise in molecular techniques and bioinformatics to support projects.
- Participate in planning and executing field work on board USM’s Research Vessel Point Sur, and other oceanographic research vessels.
- Assist with purchasing, expense tracking, laboratory inventory and organization.
- Participate in training of laboratory staff in laboratory practices, and develop of new analytical procedures in collaboration with PIs, postdocs and students.
- Contribute to written and oral communication through producing graphs and tables to summarize data and the development of reports, grants, and publications. Participate in outreach through social media, and upkeep of the lab website, and perform other duties as assigned by the study PI.
Applicants must have a MS degree in a related field (coastal or marine sciences, microbiology, chemistry, biogeochemistry, biology or other similar field) or a BS degree with relevant laboratory experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Proficiency with standard laboratory techniques, molecular biology, laboratory safety procedures, and computer literacy.
· Interested candidates should be organized, self-motivated, and able to work with a team to support discovery and learning.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to contribute to reports, correspondence, peer-reviewed manuscripts and outreach.
Experience with molecular biology practices, bioinformatics, statistical analysis and programming.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The Division of Coastal Sciences is a research and graduate education unit within the School of Ocean Science and Engineering, offering programs leading to the Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Science degrees. The Division is located at the USM Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (Ocean Springs, Mississippi), a marine laboratory featuring comprehensive basic and applied research programs in coastal and marine biological sciences. Research program support includes state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and instrumentation; a fleet of small and large research vessels, including the R/V Point Sur; the GCRL Museum collection; the Center for Fisheries Research and Development; NSF I/UCRC Science Center for Marine Fisheries, and aquaculture facilities including the Thad Cochran Marine Aquaculture Center.
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to five teaching and research sites in Mississippi and through Online at Southern Miss. Since 2006, our students have collected three Truman Scholarships and 18 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships. USM students also lead Mississippi with 21 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Our Drapeau Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities, and as a proven leader in innovation, we conduct transformative research that translates into real-world solutions. As one of only 36 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music, we are a haven for creativity and artistic expression. In the classroom or lab, on the playing field, or in the performance hall, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us. Further information is found at usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.
Please see our websites for more information about USM, the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, SOSE, and studies in the Hamdan lab: https://hamdanlab.com, http://gcrl.usm.edu/, https://www.usm.edu/school-ocean-science-and-technology/about