Postdoc in computational systems biology at LLNL
The Physical and Life Sciences Directorate has an opening for a Post-Doctoral Research Staff Member to conduct research in the area of computational systems biology of algal-bacterial interactions. This DOE funded project centered at LLNL supports a multi-institution research program (https://bio-sfa.llnl.gov), which is focused on sustainable and predictable bioenergy crop production. The research will focus on development of detailed system-level models of metabolism in microbial communities for examination of biochemical mechanisms of intercellular interactions; as well as, assessing phenotypic capabilities of organisms, and analysis of intercellular interactions. This research will involve development of multiple types of models including both genome-scale steady state models, as well as reaction-transport dynamic models. Some of the modeling efforts involve use of LLNL’s high performance computing. The purpose of this appointment is to promote cutting-edge science, and requires day-to-day interactions with experimental biologists.
- Recent PhD in microbiology, bioengineering, computer science, chemistry/biochemistry, physics or related field.
- Understanding of the concepts of microbial physiology (particularly metabolism), systems biology and dynamics of multi-cellular communities.
- Experience in mathematical modeling of networks.
- Familiarity with genome-scale modeling methods like flux balance analysis and tools like COBRA.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Familiarity with programming for parallel computing
- Experience using tools of linear programming and operations research.
- Experience in bioinformatics and computational analyses.
Interested parties should apply at http://careers-llnl.ttcportals.com/jobs/2750981-postdoctoral-research-staff-member
and/or contact Ali Navid, firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of the employment offer.